The Prescot Street site, with the Catholic Church of the English Martyrs in the background

In 1876 the Catholic Church of the English Martyrs was opened, designed by E. W Pugin, son of the famous neo-Gothic architect and designer A.W.N Pugin, to serve the growing Irish population working on the docks. The church contains the revived shrine to Our Lady of Grace. This used to be situated in the Cistercian Abbey of St Mary of Graces, just by the Tower of London. The Abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII and its site was later occupied by the Royal Mint before the Mint moved to Wales. The church has a mosaic above the main entrance that depicts Edward III handing over the charter to the abbey.