Extended Description of the Service:
Archaeological Desk Based Assessments are often useful to developers in the earliest stages of the planning process. They serve a useful purpose in providing the client with a succinct description of the potential archaeology of a site and early identification of any archaeological issues that might affect or delay development.
L – P : Archaeology have a highly skilled team of staff who are able to produce high quality Desk Based Assessments to a short deadline. Our reports focus on collating a wide range of information from a variety of sources to create a model of the archaeological potential of a site. Desk Based Assessments are often used as the basis for decisions about the need for fieldwork. If all issues are recognised at this early stage, we can help the developer to prevent delays and unexpected costs during the construction programme.
We produce high quality client orientated reports detailing all information in both technical and summary terms, which can formatted to meet any requirements. Our reports are designed to be used both as stand alone documents or as input into larger interdisciplinary studies such as EIAs.
Where necessary Desk Based Assessments can include:
- A map regression exercise involving all old OS maps and earlier
- A search of the relevant Historic Environment Record
- Documentary and historical research
- Studies of previous archaeological works
- Assessment of site conditions and likely survival of archaeological remains
- Relevant national and local legislative and planning policy considerations
- Detailed analysis of the archaeological impact of the proposed redevelopment