St Dunstan’s charity for blind service personnel identified the grade II listed former Lady Forester’s Convalescent Home, overlooking Llandudno, as the ideal location for a combined residential and nursing unit. In advance of and works commencing the main structure and its outbuildings required a level 3 historic building survey to be carried out. The survey showed that the complex of buildings comprising the main hospital, gate lodge, stable block, and laundry block remained largely intact, within their original settings. From the mid 19th century Llandudno developed as a planned seaside town to serve the growing Victorian trend of using increased free time to visit perceived healthy areas, such as the seaside of spa towns. Llandudno continued to grow as a resort into the early 20th century. It is at this time, between 1902 and 1904, that the Lady Forster’s Convalescent Homes was erected as a charitable hospital.
The historic building survey showed that the landscape into which the hospital was built remains largely unchanged, with an open terraced garden in front of the hospital, containing a meandering drive, and the outbuildings, which were contemporary to the main hospital, located to the rear, out of view. The views from the hospital, perched high up on the hillside, of the sea and the Great Orme are still clear and represent part of the intended design of the complex. The external elevation, of detailed limestone blockwork with red sandstone decoration, survived. It is of note that only four construction phases were identified, showing rapid alterations after construction, before 1912, then two further extensions in the late 20th century. The layout of the main hospital and all three outbuildings remained unchanged, giving a detailed insight into both the design and the function of the structures.